Saturday, April 3, 2010

Time For Go-Go Juice! - Can Laziness Actually be Productive Too?

Good Morning to all my readers! It’s a lazy Saturday – did you bring your Go-Go Juice? I did – let’s chat. I love Saturdays! They’re the one day a week I get to sleep in. This morning I’m in grey sweats! So comfy! How can you go wrong in sweats? They stretch in every direction you move, they keep you toasty on chilly mornings, and they go great with tennis shoes! It would be great to wear sweats at interviews or at jobs…you think I’m joking? Those who know me would tell you otherwise! Look – they’re not only comfortable, but quick to put on and some are extremely stylish! When I travel in suits for meetings, no doubt I wear the full get up – blazer, pants or skirt, proper blouse and a good set of heals for the meetings. But, I keep a pair of tennis shoes and pair of sweats to change into after business is conducted whenever it is possible. When I’m walking airports, do you think I wear my heals? Heck no. I switch into my tennis shoes – although, they don’t go together. However, I think there’s a way to create and produce “business tennies” to go with people’s suits – especially women. Men get to wear stylish flats that I’ve been told are tremendously comfortable on their feet. Have you seen women’s flats? I think they’re plain and totally uncomfortable. Most have no cush! I picture black, brown or white tennis shoes with big fancy bows made of lace to go with a women’s suit attire. Have you seen Ellen DeGenres feet? She wears tennis shoes! “Oh, don’t even go there!” I know what you’re thinking…she likes ‘girls’. But that doesn’t mean she acts like a boy! In fact, she has many feminine qualities. Do you know who else does work in both tennis shoes and sweats? Bill Belichick – one of my favorite football coaches of all teams. He is the head coach for the New England team Patriots! Whether or not you’re a football fan, (like I am) if you watch the games, you’ll notice that most coaches dress in at least slacks and a dress shirt with a sports jacket. Not Bill! Every single game he has ever played, you can count on him wearing his sweats and tennies! I swear it’s the key to his success! I’m making a point here folks…we spend way too much time on dressing to impress than getting the job done. We place so much focus on attire that it almost takes attention away from the goals. I practically fired a department head for spending too much time on fixing and straightening his dress shirt cuffs than rolling them up and putting effort and labor into his department. We are not manikins to make a department or company “look good” – it’s our performance and result that makes the impression. So who’s with me? All in favor of allowing sweats and tennis shoes at jobs and interviews say, “Aye!” Well, my hand is up – the business world may not be ready yet. Give it some thought. Who knows – maybe 10 years from now, we can embrace ideas that can put productivity to the top of the list while making happy people at the same time. Enjoy your Saturday and be lazy! In our race around world getting things done, everyone needs at least one day to re-energize, re-load and be rested to accomplish more in the days ahead. Good Shabbat to my Jewish friends and family for today and a Happy Easter to everyone else tomorrow! Be sure to light your candles for important reflective time and say a prayer for your neighbor. Be good to yourself and relish in your cup of Go-Go Juice, the most important juice of the day. See you Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment