Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Time For Go-Go Juice! - The Joke May Be on You!

I swear there’s nothing better than a steamy hot cup of coffee lightly sweetened top with the creamy goodness of a cow’s gold. (OK, well that actually sounds like butter, yuck – so to set it straight, I’m referring to half and half). :) Good morning! It’s March 31rst, last day of the month. How many of you are making “End of the month Special” for dinner tonight? You know, something like sliced up potatoes, mixed with three different leftovers from the refrigerator, with a few dashes of various spices to add flavor, served with a side of veggies – and a bottle of ketchup? Some call it a casserole, but what’s funny is my husband made me promise 22 years ago upon getting married, to never ever serve him a casserole. He said his mom made them too many times growing up so, I’ve never made one. Instead, I make end of the month surprises. I know, it’s psychological. However, being at the end of the month brings us into a new month and tomorrow marks what? April 1st, also known as April Fool’s day. You know, we’re a funny bunch of people (no pun intended) when you think about how we label days of celebration. But, I seriously wonder how our various traditions get started. So here’s some trivia to share: April 1st was once considered the first day of spring and therefore was the beginning of a new year. This goes way back to the 1400’s or so. However, sometime around the mid 1500’s in France, a Gregorian calendar was implemented changing the New Year celebration to January 1st. When the calendar changed, there were still people who didn’t get the “message” and were left in disbelief. These people were considered to be fools and hence, were made “fun” of and harassed for their obstinacy. Practical jokes evolved and the tradition soon carried into England and Scotland by the 18th century. Since American history is English, Irish and Scottish based, you can see why such traditions were carried over. It goes to say, traditions die hard. Today, everyone still plays seemingly harmless practical jokes on April first. Now, what do you do when your friend or loved one is born on such a day? Well, my Grandfather was an April Fools baby and my mother tells me of how she made sure he got his fair share. My grandfather was a huge coffee drinker! (Must be where I get it from). In her twenties, she worked at a diner as a waitress and he joined her for coffee every morning before work. Now, he used to load his coffee with heaping teaspoons of sugar. So, what’s a good way to get back at your dad? Just before he arrived, she switched his sugar with salt. Needless to say, he started his day with an abrupt puckering experience. Where’s a camera when you need one? Laughter my friends, is the best medicine to a healthy heart. Just remember, as you prepare to give your best friend a puckering experience tomorrow, remember, some jokes backfire – and the laugh is on you, but all in good fun. I hope that April 1st for me, marks a new year of lots of sunshine, warmth and just maybe a job. I wish the same for you! Let your Go-Go Juice fill you with creativity and lots of energy. Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment