Thursday, March 11, 2010

Time For Go-Go Juice! - Getting a Job After 40!

Goooood Morning! Got your cup of GO-GO Juice? I do and it’s fully leaded. It’s 6:37 – Rachelle’s off to school, Alicia is next then the other two about an hour later. Whew! Well, I’ve got a couple interesting things about us coming up…Alicia and Rachelle are going to take their chance at “getting noticed” and auditioning this Saturday for the Disney Channel and other TV productions at the Columbus Convention Center. Neither is really active in drama or acting – but the idea just tickles their fancy. Even if they don’t get picked for anything, the experience alone should be fun and rewarding in itself. And I get to fly down to New Orleans on another job prospect – so wish me luck! You know, I think it’s about time I adjust my resume to adding “job prospector” to my titles of titles. Sheesh! It’s truly been a challenge. I’m looking at joining the 40 Plus groups to see what I might be missing – maybe I’ll find a hidden secret to promoting a middle aged professional. I’ve received a few letters from folks in my LinkedIn seeking work who are also nicely “seasoned”, probably more so than I. Sadly, age does become a factor in some industries, but not in all cases. Look at Chuck Norris – he just turned 70 and he’s still kickin’ around (no pun intended). I have a clergy friend who was just ordained last year and she just turned 71. God didn’t find her too old. Maybe age isn’t the issue, but rather how we carry our age that makes the difference. I look back at my mom (and if you’re hearing my thoughts right now, you know I still love and miss you), but man, age didn’t do her well…she was a coot. Sweet but off her rocker, God love her. On the other hand, I took in a homeless lady a week ago who is also searching for jobs. She is 60 years old. I know her skills and experience aren’t holding her down because she’s got an impressive background. No doubt her life situation has been a hindrance. When she lost her job, she eventually lost her home and lately, she had survived for two months living out of an abandoned apartment with just electricity (that never got shut off, lucky for her), but no heat, no cooking, no hot water. Then she went to living out of her car for the past two weeks. I’ve been there folks – the stories I could share about surviving this economy and caring for a family would just send shivers down your spine. But then, that’s probably why I got the referral about her. A friend called me regarding her situation and wondered with all my knowledge and connections, if somehow I could make connections for her. I said to “hell” with connections for the moment, she needed a warm home and a bed. We’re a big family in a small home, but there’s always room for more. Having got to know her now, age has been a topic. Yet, looking at her, she doesn’t appear her age and she could do circles around friends I know half her age. I’m helping her build a network and making referral calls on her behalf. Who knows, maybe she’ll get a great job – then she can hire me! Oh, life is good and sweet! You never know what lies ahead or just around the bend. Ok, well, the cup is empty, but the pot is full. Gonna get me some more and wish you all a fantastic day!

No comments:

Post a Comment